Skip to main content

Mobile Number Fiasco

“Hey, Kavya, Madhuri, these are my friends, Kiran and Sachin,” I introduce them to Kavya and Madhuri at the so-called lecture some HR consultant had been asked to conduct.

              Both of the groups greet each other. While Madhuri flashes a smile at me, Kavya simply acknowledges me with a brief nod before taking her place.

              “See?” I whisper to my friends. “She’s been like this for a while.”

              “What did you do, Nish?” Kiran asks.

              I shrug my shoulders. “I don’t know, bro… I just don’t.”

              The lecture goes on for what seems like hours. Finally, the time comes for a break. Kavya excuses herself to go to the washroom while Madhuri sprints a few steps away to talk with her workplace friends, Reshmi, Tasneem, and Noela. As luck would have it, I notice Madhuri's notebook abandoned on a chair, seemingly forgotten. The thought flickers in my mind like a fleeting ghostly apparition. It is a perfect opportunity to acquire Kavya’s number.

              I covertly snatch Madhuri’s book.

              With the stolen book in hand, I seek refuge in Sachin’s presence.

              His voice quivers as he cautions, "Hey, what are you doing, bastard? You will put us in big trouble."

              ‘This man will die celibate.’

              “This was the plan?” I mention to Sachin, keeping my tone to a whisper. I make my eyes flicker, issuing a silent threat to keep quiet.

              “Kiran, read her details,” I command.

              Sachin cries out desperately. “Listen to me, stop this nonsense.” He turns his back to us, clutching Kiran's hand tightly. Acting swiftly, I jerk Kiran's hand away from Sachin's grasp and sternly warn him to stand still.

              On the other hand, Kiran shows no emotion and does as I have told him.

              “Madhuri will kill us. It is, after all, a girl’s book, which is too risky to even touch, and you have taken it without her knowing,” Sachin, despite my madness, continues his protest.

              "She won't know if you keep quiet,” I whisper, leaning closer.

              Kiran turns around and shifts his weight to his left side. With a slightly dissonant voice, he proceeds to read out Kavya’s details.

              “What?” I exclaim and smack Kiran’s head. “Just say it in a normal voice."

              Sachin's patience begins to wane. "Just do it, just do it, bastards," he mutters.

              "But he is not reading out appropriately," I point, directing my words towards Kiran.

              "Hey, what are you guys doing there? And where is my book?" Madhuri asks, suddenly, jolting us all.

              Sachin hurriedly seeks refuge behind me.

              "Kiran, why do you have my book?"

              I swiftly discard the paper, concealing it discreetly beneath my shoes. Kiran, mimicking my actions, recklessly tosses the book, trailing behind me.

              "You fool, why did you throw the book?" Sachin grumbles, clearly irritated by Kiran's hasty decision.

              "Shout it out loud. And make her aware." Kiran smirks in response.

              The other girls in the room stand bewildered, struggling to comprehend the unfolding scene before them.

              Confusion paints Reshmi's face as she approaches the commotion. "What is going on? And what is there in that paper that you’re hiding?"

              “Nothing, there is nothing.” Beads of sweat appear on my temple. 

              "Then why are you hiding it?” Noela challenges.

              Unwilling to accept my silence, Madhuri stubbornly steps forward. Folding her arms across her chest, she stands, facing me. “We want to know what’s going on here, Nish.”

              Sachin runs outside at that moment, leaving me and Kiran standing there, sharing a moment of connection.

              "Why do you want to see? There is nothing to see. Shouldn't this be a matter that concerns only girls?"

              “Oh, is it? Then what on earth are you doing with Madhuri’s book?”

              “Girls, hold Nishant. I want to see that paper right now.”

              "Believe us," Kiran says in disgust.

              The situation is unnerving as Noela unexpectedly kicks me in the belly. Stunned and in pain, I instinctively bend down, only to be restrained from behind by Reshmi and someone named Sonali. Kiran, standing nearby, seems utterly clueless, unsure of how to react or intervene. However, amidst the chaos, Tasneem swiftly takes charge. She grabs the soiled piece of paper that is lying on the ground and hands it over to Madhuri.

              Madhuri's eyes sparkle with excitement as she exclaims, "OMG!" Her laughter fills the air as she blushes, her cheeks turning a rosy pink. She can hardly contain her excitement as she mentions Kavyanjali's name, elongating it like a stretched rubber band. Her posture changes, reflecting her enthusiasm.

              Without wasting a moment, Reshmi snatches the paper from Madhuri's hand and glances at it. Her eyes look as though they have popped out of their sockets.

              I tremble with fear. Hoping for some words of comfort, I implore, "See, don't misunderstand us. There is nothing like that. Kiran, you say something."

              Whispering in a barely audible voice, Kiran responds with utter nonsense. As if the situation isn't already overwhelming, Madhuri decides to add to my distress. She teasingly pinches my cheeks and exclaims, "Mr. Nishant Dixit, the Internet Admin of 'Revenge,' loves Kavyanjali... hehe."

              Sonali playfully hits my forehead.  "See, how he is shying."

              I quickly turn to Madhuri. With a firm grip on her hand, I implore, "Madhuri, please don't tell Kavya."

              Madhuri seems unfazed by my plea. She nonchalantly shrugs off my grip and responds, "Sachin baby, it's okay now. You can come inside."

              "Hey, what is going on?" Kavya's voice echoes through the air, catching us off guard. I so want to leave right now.  Kavya stares at me and gathers that I want to escape. She looks surprised and shocked at the same time.

              She paces cautiously towards our gathering, her hands folded across her chest, and her spectacles perched firmly on her nose. Her inquisitive eyes study us intently, as if attempting to unravel the mystery that keeps unfolding before her.

              “Where do you think you are running to?” she asks.  Her gaze then shifts to Kiran and Sachin. “And you two, why are you tensed?” The questions pile up in Kavya's mind, causing her forehead to furrow.

              ‘I think I’m going to lose my job.’                 Curious to explore more? Dive into the full chapter and immerse yourself in the captivating narrative. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0CRRN7543/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3ON9QG8HHJOCO&keywords=whispers+of+the+workplace&qid=1704813349&sprefix=%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

I’m Navin, the author of Whispers of The Workplace. In the year 2019, I released a short film called Fountain (Aarambh) under the banner of KrazyTales. The plot is inspired on the Time Travel Bootstrap Paradox. I hope you enjoyed reading and seeing it as much as I loved making and participating in it.

Early Teaser

Dad would often reiterate a point to me while I was growing up. Something he had hoped I would learn. How did he use to put it? The proverbial "rise and shine" applies here. However, I've realized that this adage doesn't hold true in my case. I'm not someone who enjoys getting up early. I've never been a morning person. I don't want to wake up with the sun, as many people advise, especially on Sundays.               Who wants to wake up early on a Sunday?               My dad, without a question. And perhaps people like him.               People like me love to spend as much time as possible cuddling in our beds. The only price I pay for this is I have to listen to my parents' long-winded lectures.               Like every other Sunday, I am greeted by the sound of my mother's voice inviting me to the breakfast table. After hurriedly cleaning my teeth, I go into the living room and sit down across from my dad. Even when he reads the headlin

Heated Encounter

"Hey, you… come here…" A man's abrupt voice startles us. "You're Nishant Dixit, isn't it?"               I move my head toward the direction of the voice. A man with a true white skin stands before me, but his face has already flushed crimson with rage. His physical appearance is stunning, with a great haircut and a thick moustache that contributes to his intimidating demeanour. Despite his ordinary build, he exudes a resolve that reminds me of WWE wrestlers.               I turn to face Kiran, Sachin, and Rocky, who are standing in front of me. Their expressions are plainly one of surprise. "Who is this?" I ask softly, my voice full of interest.               The person, clearly agitated by my lack of response, increases his voice, and shouts once more, anxious for my attention. "Hey, I'm talking to you."               Breaking the silence, Rocky speaks quietly, never breaking eye contact with the intriguing man. "He