Skip to main content

Heated Encounter

"Hey, you… come here…" A man's abrupt voice startles us. "You're Nishant Dixit, isn't it?"

              I move my head toward the direction of the voice. A man with a true white skin stands before me, but his face has already flushed crimson with rage. His physical appearance is stunning, with a great haircut and a thick moustache that contributes to his intimidating demeanour. Despite his ordinary build, he exudes a resolve that reminds me of WWE wrestlers.

              I turn to face Kiran, Sachin, and Rocky, who are standing in front of me. Their expressions are plainly one of surprise. "Who is this?" I ask softly, my voice full of interest.

              The person, clearly agitated by my lack of response, increases his voice, and shouts once more, anxious for my attention. "Hey, I'm talking to you."

              Breaking the silence, Rocky speaks quietly, never breaking eye contact with the intriguing man. "He is Prasad Sir," he says quietly.

              Anger wells up within me, like if I've accepted an unsaid challenge. "All right, if he wants to mess with me, I'll give him a reality check," I mumble.

              "Nish, don't be foolish,” Sachin advises. “Let's approach this with a level head and listen to what he has to say."

              The location of the incident plays a role in escalating the tension. The majority of people, around eighty percent, are situated on the same side of the floor as Prasad, Rocky, and the WPC team. Prasad's initial outburst has already attracted the attention of numerous individuals.

              "Barking… cannot listen," I growl, my annoyance visible as I turned to confront Prasad.

              "Yes, you, why are you hiding now?” he charges. “Come here."

              He has once again injured my manly ego. I have no motive to avoid him or hide. I have done nothing wrong.

              Prasad's entire team begins to scrutinize me as if I am a rapist, their suspicious gazes penetrating through me.

              I let out a roar of fury because I couldn't take the accusatory eyes any longer. "Who said I was hiding? Don't pay attention to such jerks."

              "Why do you want to escalate the issue, Nish?" Kiran asks.

              Prasad, who appears unaffected by the tension, dares me further. "You first come here," he says.

              It feels as if he is daring me to step into a WWE ring.

              "Yes, tell me?" I respond and quickly sprint towards his desk.

              "What did you do last night?" Prasad's voice escalates, reaching a level that reminds me of a typical girlfriend or a wife when they suspect something.

              "You want to know what I did with my girlfriend last night? Seriously?" I joke.

              He wheezes in anger. "Look, don't be over-smart."

              "Then stop creating scenes and come straight to the point." I bang my arm on his desk.

              "You instructed Prakash to log separate internet tickets for each new joiner. He logged eighty-seven requests. He could have simply logged one grand ticket rather."

              "Who the hell is this Prakash?" I ask irritated.

              "Whoa. This man doesn't know a penny about his co-workers. Seems Vikram and Shashi have been hiring candidates without conducting interviews," he mocks, looking at his audience. He is aware that I had gained the upper hand with my initial move. However, to my surprise, Sandeep's gang seems to relish in this brutality. They burst into laughter, which only serves to bolster Prasad's confidence.

              "So?" I surprise them with my calm reaction. "Do you know who Diksha is?"

              Rocky bursts into laughter. “My God, this Nishant…”

              Prasad's expression changes from delighted to perplexed in an instant. He appears surprised and befuddled by the event.

              "What do you want to say?" Prasad asks in an attempt to restore his calm. “Who is this, Diksha?"

              "Whoa. This man doesn't know a penny about his co-workers." I turn to face my friends and laugh.

              "Fuck this bastard,” Sachin mumbles. “Nishant is crazy."

              Prasad looks paralysed in that instant.

              “Now, if you're done amusing your people with low-grade PJs, let's get to the point,” I say, clearly angry. "What’s your story around this Prakash?"

              Amid all the tension, my eyes notice a girl sitting beside Prasad. She begins to laugh, mildly at first, at the situation. I manage to read her name - Sukhada.

              “This Nishant has guts,” Kiran comments.

              “Yeah... and now he’s flirting too,” Sachin spits, enraged by my actions. “Look at him.”

              Prasad's team member approaches, his focus fixed on their boss, who is now losing a game. He breaks the stillness by saying, "Nishant, Prakash is an IT engineer from the Nagothane site."

              "Do you know the total employee strength of 'Revenge'?" I ask with my hands on my hips, amused and irritated at the same time.

              My question left Prasad’s teammate utterly bewildered. He couldn't make sense of what had just happened. Feeling a mix of frustration and incredulity, he only smiles weakly and slumps down onto his chair.

              Directing my gaze towards Prasad, I ask, "So, your version of the story is I instructed this Prakash something, and you guys are barking at me without confirming if it was really me?" Despite my aggressive approach in handling such matters, I feel that I am making perfect sense. The lack of responses from others around me just strengthens my conviction.

              Prasad remained mute, only nodding, and smiling.

              “It’s like we….”

              “There is a procedure for obtaining Internet access within 'Revenge,'" Prasad begins his rant. “The requester, whether an individual or a site engineer on behalf of multiple users, must complete a new internet access requisition form. The form has to be duly filled out and signed by the requester and their HOD. Once the requisition form is completed and signed, it has to be uploaded onto the designated portal. Upon uploading the requisition form, an automatic ticket would be generated in our system. In some cases, site engineers could send internet access requests on behalf of multiple users. To streamline the process, site engineers have the option to make a grand request.”

              ‘He is more obnoxious when compared to Shyam,’ I’m thinking.

              "And you're giving these WPC engineers a temporary workaround," Prasad’s teammate taunts. His words paint me as a criminal, as he adds, "Do you know how much we suffer?"

              Dude, how do I know how much you fucked?’

              I laugh. "Look, you need a break. First, I don't know this Prakash or anyone by that name. Second, I didn't give any WPC engineer a temporary workaround."

              "Wait, I'll ask Mr. Sane," Prasad threatens me as he swiftly reaches for a receiver and begins dialing a number.

              The mention of Mr. Sane leaves me puzzled. ‘Who the hell is this Sane now?’

              "Prakash reports to Sane," Sukhada says to me, attempting to clarify.

              Her remarks sound ominous... especially if I am involved in some sort of transgression. I acknowledge her information with a little shake of my head and a grin.

              What the fuck? What is he going to speak to Mr. Sane?...’              Curious to explore more? Dive into the full chapter and immerse yourself in the captivating narrative. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0CRRN7543/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3ON9QG8HHJOCO&keywords=whispers+of+the+workplace&qid=1704813349&sprefix=%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-1 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

I’m Navin, the author of Whispers of The Workplace. In the year 2019, I released a short film called Fountain (Aarambh) under the banner of KrazyTales. The plot is inspired on the Time Travel Bootstrap Paradox. I hope you enjoyed reading and seeing it as much as I loved making and participating in it.

Early Teaser

Dad would often reiterate a point to me while I was growing up. Something he had hoped I would learn. How did he use to put it? The proverbial "rise and shine" applies here. However, I've realized that this adage doesn't hold true in my case. I'm not someone who enjoys getting up early. I've never been a morning person. I don't want to wake up with the sun, as many people advise, especially on Sundays.               Who wants to wake up early on a Sunday?               My dad, without a question. And perhaps people like him.               People like me love to spend as much time as possible cuddling in our beds. The only price I pay for this is I have to listen to my parents' long-winded lectures.               Like every other Sunday, I am greeted by the sound of my mother's voice inviting me to the breakfast table. After hurriedly cleaning my teeth, I go into the living room and sit down across from my dad. Even when he reads the headlin